Forge out of order

ISSUE or REQUEST:

Affected Tool or Resource: Blacksmithing Forge

Team, Group or Volunteer who usually handles this type of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please tag using the @ symbol. Start by typing @TEAM_ to find most responsible teams): @Alex

Details of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please be as specific as possible):

Hi all,

@Alex has already been made aware, but there is currently a hole in the side of the forge. That means that for the time being, it is considered out of commission.

Please check back on this post for any updates related to it’s repair.

Please remember that VOLUNTEERS will be helping to resolve this issue. While everyone works very hard to fix things quickly, sometimes things take time. Please consider Volunteering to help keep everything working well in our makerspace!

Would anyone have an interest in rebuilding the current forge and or making a new forge?
I will go in Tuesday Dec 5th to look at the forge and see about patching and making forge worthy . Also look at what materials are need to rebuild it.

2 Likes

I would really appreciate that Bobby! Thank you! If you let me know what time you plan to be there I will try to be there to help.

I’d be interested in helping out

I plan to go to Alro steel and look at steel to also set up the postvice I refurbished sometime ago.
I plan to be there December 5th around 1PM
If you all can come up with a time a time that works to discuss the forge. So I have an idea of where you want go with rebuild or make a new forge.

1 Like

Well I Intended to be there to talk to you about our options today @bjadms8 but the damn car wont start.
Let me know what you think we should do about the forge. Sorry for not being able to make it.

Well I welded a patch for the hole/holes.
The brick are or have fallen apart and Kaowool insulation has decenergrated to the point it will need to replaced. The sheet metal body needs to be replaced. so I foresee a complete rebuild needs to be stared. I have taken measurements and working a supplies list and estimated cost.
Will have follow-up message with that information. That is the way I see it.

Thank you for doing all that Bobby!

I also put the out of order sign back on and also took the tank and burner off.
I have ordered ceramic wool, fire bricks and refractory coating. I will also look at sheet steel at Alro one day this week.

@Alex @bjadms8 Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help with building/rebuilding.

I have the kawool (ceramic wool), fire bricks and ridgadiser for the kawool. I still need to get with Alro steel to see how much a sheet of 18 gauge cut to size and bent to required shape.
I have gone through a bout with Covid and a bout done with it. Just don’t have energy I used to have.

We can all meet and look over the project after Christmas. I have a full membership and can be in anytime. Talk amongst your self to determine the best time. The plan is to help understand how a propane forge is constructed and maintained. We go over the burner construction and maybe explore the building of a ribbon burner forge.

Marry Christmas to you all and may you always know that Father God loves you.

1 Like

Hi, can’t afford a membership right now, but I can help in certain ways. In the long term, we need forge welding. Yeah, yeah, concerns and what-not, and need a forge to do forge welding. Can someone design a forge that can be used to do forge welding that we can do forge welding on, stick it outside to do that since we would need a vent hood if it were inside to do that. I don’t have the skills on paper to help, but the skills of an old armorer might be just what is needed. Oh, I might just be an old armorer. Please comment for purposes of direction on how to positively proceed…

Last I knew, there are plans for building a vented forge against the wall between the doors. Im not sure how big we wanted to make it, that is a question for alex. I was going to help weld it together and get the vent hood set up.

I’m looking at my forge at my family’s place and I realized that it doesn’t need 3 burners on it. If you’re interested, I can bring one in after the holidays. It’s just a T-style burner.

Update went to Alro steel to have them cut and shape a new forge housing out of 18 gauge steel sheet. The won’t have someone to bend it till the 2nd of January 2024.

Anyone that wants to help rebuild the forge pleas state a time to get together that works for them plan to start beginning Thursday the 4th January 2024. Your help would be appreciated and you can also learn how to make propane forge. As we inspect and rebuild it.

2 Likes

I’m free anytime on the weekends and almost all weekdays after ~6pm.

Ok here is the plan begin on Saturday the 6th at 1:00pm to allow time for anyone that want to rebuild the forge.
We will not complete in one day this will take multiple days.
For example, the ceramic wool will have ridgadiser applied and will take 24 hours to dry.

We can talk about people coming in and completing tasks.
Bobby

1 Like

I am not available to come in on saturday because i have a family event to go to but by all means dont wait on my account. the sooner we are back in operation the better. Thank you again for running point on this @bjadms8 !

update on progress
Thanks to Maria for the help in starting of forge rebuild.
We replaced the metal skin using 18 gauge sheet steel bent to shape by Alro Metals Outlet, Lansing, 4832 W Saginaw Hwy Suite 3, Lansing, MI 48917
Installed new soft fire bricks and ceramic wool with rigidizer.
Maria will make some adjustment to the fire bick on the side and add an addition layer of ceramic wool with rigidizer.
Saturday 13th 2024 at 1:00PM
We will coat fire brick and ceramic wool with refractory cement coating.
Let it completely dry and apply a 2nd coat refractory cement.

Bobby Adams

2 Likes