Forge out of order

I will not be in on Saturday 13th 2024 to work on forge rebuild as winter storm warning this week end.

Did the doors and trimmed firebrick. Incandescent bulb burned out, but I think we should be okay since itā€™s just the little pieces on the door insulation that need to dry.

(And with the storm keeping us from working on this on Saturday it should have plenty of time.)

Thank you Maria
We may be able to get the refactor coating.
Did it look like we need another layer of ceramic wool?

Iā€™m not sure - if weā€™re shooting for it to be even thickness with the cut bricks I think one more coating would definitely do get there and might even end up being thicker than we need.

The greater the insulation the more heat is retained the less fuel is used.

Just FYI, I saw the dead light bulb and flicked it a few times and it came back on (for an indeterminate amount of time), so I carefully reinserted it back into the forge. It was still on when I left Thursday evening.

1 Like

Thank you Lou
I was in before the snow and applied some refractory to the forge. I donā€™t like how grain it is but that was just the first coating. I have ordered Satanite to finish it out. The order is expected January 17th.

Thanks, Lou and Bobby. Anything useful for me to do before the Satanite arrives?

No, if your back at the forge I think I left one of the Black and Decker drill motors back in the area. If not too much trouble can you return it to the storage area.

Hi all, my nameā€™s Adam and Iā€™m new to the space. Iā€™m an amateur bladesmith, among a multitude of other hobbyist titles I could categorize myself under. Iā€™m excited to get started with a membership for the space but wanted to wait until the forge was back in working order so I could accomplish my checkouts for the blacksmithing and welding area. Iā€™m really impressed with how the community comes together to solve an issue like the broken forge and I canā€™t wait to get started and be a part of it. I was looking for some advice as it pertains to my situation, how to go about accomplishing the checkouts, and any other helpful tips on getting started would be greatly appreciated.

I am expecting to first firing of for after rebuild to Monday 29th of January or sooner after Satanit is applied and cured (allowed to complete dry no moisture trapped in the material). We will apply Satanite January 20th if not sooner if my schedule permits.

2 Likes

I went in to apply refractory to forge for blacksmith shop and found my Key Fob did not work 01/18/2024. Issue has been reported Administrative group

The door is sticking because ice is getting stuck in the jamb. Swipe your card, push in on the door, and then pull to take the pressure off the electric strike (the strike canā€™t release if thereā€™s pressure on it).

(I did check and your keyfob is still active.)

The fob scan never go to green
I will try again tomorrow

The green LED on that reader has been broken for a decidedly long time. Most of the time no one notices bc they hear the ā€œclickā€. Without the clickā€¦ you notice it doesnā€™t turn green :wink:

I have decided to place my personal forge in the room for the time being until the current or future forge is operational. You are welcome to use it, but please do not make any modifications and if youā€™re curious as to how to operate it reach out to me or the Internet.
Happy Hammering

thank you so much for the temporary stop gap! I really appreciate it and I will make sure you are notified as soon as our forge is back in service!

The satnite has been applied I fired the forge to cure the satinte. Maria. If you would like come in at 1:00 pm Saturday and you can have the honor of liting the forge the first time. You help a great deal thank you.

2 Likes

The forge is completed. I may apply additional coat of satinte later.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thank you so much for handling that Bobby! I really appreciate it!