Blacksmithing Town Hall Meeting

You’re welcome, glad to help.

@Arialia @Moonrod Would you be available this saturday (the 1st) to meet at the space and go over what was covered in the town hall meeting? say around 2-2:30 pm?

Hi Alex!

Yes I would love that, thank you!

Best,

Henry

1 Like

I’m also available! Thank you for reaching out!

1 Like

No problem! See you then!

Kind of too late, but i just realized I forgot to post my notes…If it’s still any use:

• No personal stuff in blacksmithing. we don’t want to end up in a situation like this again. if something is back there, it should belong to the space
  • we’re going to try to use A33 for our new tools. it’s easy to work with and alex found a good supplier.
  • What we need most are tongs, hammers and anvils
  • there may be some groups who work on tools together
  • lmn can’t ask you to buy tools, but if you do, alex is grateful
  • no classes for now, eventually, classes should not be just one person
  • we might get an induction forge
3 Likes

Is the Postvice (LegVice) against the west wall in the blacksmith area space or private owner.
Either way if one would like help with restoring it I just finished one very sinular.
I would be happy to assist with rebuild (restore). Here is a picture of the one I restored.

1 Like

That was recently donated. I would love it if you could restore it! I appreciate the offer!

I will come in and pick it up to bring to my shop to do the work Monday or Tuesday. If all goes well I will return it the following Monday. The mounting will have to be determined you folks. I mounded mine on the other end of my larger post vice.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you! We’ll figure out how we want to mount it when it gets back

Thanks for restoring that! I brought it in but hadn’t had time to restore it yet. It will be a necessity for having classes.

1 Like

I have made the mounting bracket and will start the spring. Evaparust coated the vice to the rust to loosen. We will still need to build a stand for it. If you want it like one left will need to get some steel to built it.

Just an update were as to were it is in the process.

1 Like

The postvice is done I will be returning it Thursday April 13th.

4 Likes

Wow it looks beautiful! Thank you so much for doing that Bobby!

Refurbished
Postvice has been returned to the Blacksmithing area table.

1 Like

Holy crap, that looks amazing! I can’t believe that’s the post vise I brought in!

Thanks so much, what a huge difference!

1 Like

The town hall meeting was a while ago, but I seem to remember axle steel was mentioned as a desirable material. Is it? Because I think I might have seen some.

It could be useful depending on the diameter of the axle. Could you estimate the diameter and length?

Good tool steels, auto coil and leaf springs, axles, old crowbars, and punches and chisels store bought or old.
Harden the working end leave the struck end soft. The struck end will need to be dressed as it used to prevent pieces of steel from becoming small pieces of metal flying about.

Specifically what I was hoping for with axle shafts was to use it as temporary anvils. That’s why I was asking about the diameter. We could use smaller diameter axles for other things potentially.