Waste / Recycling Shelf

Howdy folks,

We generate a lot of different kinds of waste. Some of these are commodities which we can sell, and some are cardboard. Others are hazardous to the environment and require special disposal.

I think a shelf storage solution to help organize all of this would be helpful, and make it easier for us to take care of our waste the right way. I think this wall is the ideal location.

The task is: Design shelving, figure out what materials you’ll need, tell me what you need, and then I’ll get them so you (or you and some friends!) can build the shelf.

Here is a (probably not comprehensive) list of things we may want to store on this shelf.

• Cardboard
  • Mixed paper (paper + boxboard)
  • Hazardous waste from our flammables cabinet (paints, oils, etc)
  • E-waste
  • Hazardous e-waste (containing mercury or other particular elements)
  • Commodity metal waste (possibly of several tiers / categories)

Ideally, items will be organized in a way that it is easy for any member or volunteer to say “oh, I should take out cardboard for drop-off” and then take it off the shelf and load it into their car, without any further gathering / processing required.

If you have any ideas, questions, or concerns, please respond here! Also respond here if you have decided to take this task on. Thanks!