Vcarve Cutter Path Verification

Hi All,

So, I think I successfully laid out and defined my first cutter paths in Vcarve. That being said, I would like to have someone look at them to make sure I followed the SOP correctly before loading them into the CNC router. I had to do a few modifications to the vectors that weren’t covered in the SOP, and I think I’m in good shape, but having a set of experienced eyes go over it would be welcomed. Is there anyone available sometime next week to do this.

Also, one question I have is regarding the amount of cutting I have to do relative to a 1/4", 2-fluet end mill. I’m not sure of the linear equivalent, but lets just say it’s probably equal to about 20 of the stools. Is there any protocol in regard to tool wear? I think I have a 1/4" 4 flute end mill and I’m wondering if this would be less wear on the tool or make it viable to ramp the feed rate.

Lastly, is there anything that would prevent me from loading a full 4x8 sheet of plywood on the CNC router? After playing around with the nesting, I can’t really get things laid out to less than 3/4 of a sheet of plywood.

Thanks!
Luke

I’d happily take a look at your tool paths for you. If you’ve got the vcarve file handy, go ahead and email it to me and I’ll take a look.

WRT cutters, 4 flute is probably not ideal for wood. Your chip load will go down considerably and you’ll have to move a heck of a lot faster to make a chip big enough (it’s the counterintuitive part of CNC machining, we need to take an actual bite out of the material with the tool, if we don’t, we’re just rubbing, dulling the tool, and burning our piece… intuitively it seems like we should go slower if the cut isn’t going our way, but sometimes it’s the exact opposite problem).

Here’s a good article that lays some of it out (I don’t agree with some of how they’re describing the problem… it’s not that the machine can’t move fast enough to get the chips out, it’s more that the chips are much smaller than they’re ideally supposed to be.)

And here’s a decent description of chip load and what a bit is looking for to be effective.

https://www.vortextool.com/images/chipLoadChart.pdf

Hi Brian,

Those articles help clarify things a lot. It’s been years since I had to concern myself with feed rates and chip loads and in those days is was for machining steel and aluminum - on a manual mill.

I do have the v-carve file. I’ll email it to you.

Thanks!
Luke

Hi Brian,

Did my email to you come through with those cutter paths? Not sure if I used a valid email…

Thanks!
Luke

It did sorry I’ll take a look this evening.