Fixed: Table Saw Dust Collector Not Working

ISSUE or REQUEST:

Affected Tool or Resource: Gray Dust Collector For Table Saw Jointer Planer

Team, Group or Volunteer who usually handles this type of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please tag using the @ symbol. Start by typing @TEAM_ to find most responsible teams): @TEAM_Woodshop @cafwood

Details of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please be as specific as possible):
Motor was humming without spinning, tripped breaker. Believe it may be the start capacitor. Start capacitor looks like a 600 MFD. For the time being I hooked up the green dust collector from the other planer. It only has 2 connection points so the router table is disconnected for now.

Please remember that VOLUNTEERS will be helping to resolve this issue. While everyone works very hard to fix things quickly, sometimes things take time. Please consider Volunteering to help keep everything working well in our makerspace!

Any updates on this problem? I was in today, using the planer. The green dust collector didn’t have much suction on the hose to the planer. I cleaned out a plug of sawdust in that hose, but it didn’t improve it by a whole bunch, IMHO. It was easier to disconnect the dust collector completely, and clean up a whole whopping pile of sawdust after.

The symptoms certainly sound like a bad capacitor. I think my meter could test it if I remember to bring it this weekend. In Ryan’s photo, it is a 600mfd rated at 125v and I believe we’ve been running that motor on 230v. Here is a 250v rated replacement for $17.

ABC Capacitor 600MFD 600uf 250V Cylindrical AC Motor Starting Capacitor Amazon.com

This is fixed now. A new capacitor made it happy.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.