Sewing machine needs help

ISSUE or REQUEST:

Affected Tool or Resource: Ever Sewn

Team, Group or Volunteer who usually handles this type of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please tag using the @ symbol. Start by typing @TEAM_ to find most responsible teams): [REPLACEME]

Details of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please be as specific as possible):
The Ever Sewn is jamming. Turning the hand wheel, it’s not regularly picking up the thread from the bobbin. Sometimes the thread becomes wound around the bobbin housing. I re threaded the bobbin and the spool and tweaked tension. I didn’t have extra time to do much else

Please remember that VOLUNTEERS will be helping to resolve this issue. While everyone works very hard to fix things quickly, sometimes things take time. Please consider Volunteering to help keep everything working well in our makerspace!

I should have posted about this more! James, Jackson and I have all looked at it, and adjusted the tension, and various parts of the machine. Maybe someone with more experience with different machines could resolve it, but it has never worked. We chalked it up to poor quality control in the manufacturing process. All the eversewn machines do this occasionally, but that one does it consistently. For now, I recommend grabbing a different eversewn, or using an older machine in the space

In case no one thought about it, it is also very important to be using the right needle for the job. If the sewing machine needle isn’t new or if you’re using a universal on heavy material it will cause this issue. (Needles last around 12 hours of sewing max btw!)

Also check if there’s any lint build up around the bobbin casing, it might need cleaning. Vacuum rather than blow air though.

1 Like

I am guessing this machine has something more wrong with it than the needle. It didn’t work out of the box, and has actually gone through a few needles in the troubleshooting process. I have fidgeted with it a bit and managed to get it working temporarily, but it doesn’t last long when someone else (especially new learners) comes in to work with it. I’m sure you have more experience with the eversewns though! If you have the time to come look at them soon and figure out why this happens, i can point out the machine we have had the most trouble with