Reminder: Board meeting on April 5

Hello, hello! LMN’s next regular board meeting is on April 5th starting at 7:00 pm on Zoom (link below). You’re welcome to spectate and there will be a member-led discourse that usually starts around 8’ish if you’d like to ask questions or speak to the board.

If you have something you’d like to ask/share but you’re unable to attend, drop a comment below and I’ll bring it up for you. :sunglasses:


  • Approval of agenda
  • Approval of previous minutes
  • Executive report
  • Treasurer’s report
  • Secretary’s report
  • Member-led discourse
  • Schedule the next board meeting
  • Public board meeting adjourns
  • Executive session

Zoom Details

Topic: LMN Board Meeting on Zoom
Time: April 5, 2023 at 7:00 PM Eastern

Meeting ID: 926 2280 3913
Passcode: LMN

Sorry for the late change but we’re rescheduling the board meeting to April 5 so we can have a stronger attendance from board members. :sweat_smile:

Thanks Erik… that must explain why I’m the only one at the meeting, I mean non-meeting.

1 Like

Reminder that our rescheduled board meeting is this Wednesday!

Lansing Makers Network

Board of Directors
Regular Meeting Minutes
April 5, 2022, 7:00 pm via Zoom

Present: Erik Gillespie (Secretary), Brian Adams (President), Carl Raymond, Charlie Finkel, Jerry Jodloski, Joe Zimmerman, Jody Applegate (Treasurer)


Spectators: Maria Alcaraz, Jimmy Coyer, Brian Dale, Gary Bourassa

Minutes: Erik Gillespie

Meeting called to order: 7:07 pm

1. Approval of agenda

MOTION: Approval of Agenda as Submitted. [Erik, Charlie]

RESULT: Approved by unanimous consent

2. Approval of previous minutes

Link to 2022-02-22 Meeting Minutes

MOTION: Approval of Minutes as Submitted. [Erik, Charlie]

RESULT: Approved by unanimous consent

3. Executive report

  • Notification of dues increases will go out by the end of the day April 6, effective May 1, and we will negotiate with anyone experiencing financial hardships
  • Dues Full access: $150/month, Open hours: $50/month
  • We’ll have an annual discount paid quarterly
  • The member portal still needs to be updated to account for these changes
  • We are going to add punch card memberships for open hours and the price is TBD
  • Brian and Matt met and will be trying to streamline introducing new classes
  • New classes are in the works with a preview happening this week
  • We’re pivoting on the vendor requirements for the Maker Market to try and improve vendor sign-ups, please distribute flyers so we can get vendors!
  • 10th Anniversary Celebration will be in July and is still in planning
  • We are open to a student, teacher, veteran discount but it would likely result in our 50% senior discount changing to match (we would consider the sticker shock with rates going up as well so we avoid creating turmoil for senior members)

4. Treasurer’s report

Link to 2023-02 Treasurer’s Report

Link to 2023-03 Treasurer’s Report

  • Brian will work out a payment plan with the electricians because the amount we owe them is a significant portion (~50%) of our bank balance
  • Jody will find out when we can expect the contribution from the Mott Foundation
  • Our 990N for 2020 has been submitted

5. Secretary’s report

  • Patronicity report is complete except for the budget - Brian will start tagging these transactions.
  • I didn’t receive a list of items in Cliff’s possession that were purchased by LMN. Do we want me to proceed with this? Alex was asked to find out if we’re missing these items, Brian will followup.

6. Member-led discourse (7:42 pm)

  • Maria provided a spreadsheet with member projects to help us gauge what growth we need to flip to positive monthly income: LMN Membership - Google Sheets
  • Maria thinks a newsletter and social media fundraisers would help us with short- and long-term income
  • Gary said several members are concerned their membership will be terminated if they speak up about their concerns
  • Gary said members are concerned the board is a group of friends and not speaking up like a board would be expected to speak up
  • Gary wonders if streamlining class approvals should be our focus if they are the lifeblood of our organization
  • Carl offered creating an anonymous suggestion box to allow people to offer ideas without fear of rebuke
  • Brian Dale has had a few conversations with people who are concerned that the space will not be around soon and that they are worried about raising these concerns with leadership
  • Brian Dale thinks there is a lack of transparency around the kiln project he brought up two weeks
  • Brian Dale and Gary would like to help with fundraising to help our immediate income need
  • Maria offered sharing with volunteers and members the state of the space finances so we can rally them to grow our income and membership

7. Schedule the next board meeting

Next board meeting: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, at 7:00 pm

Note: Brian will also try to schedule an earlier working session with the board.

8. Public board meeting adjourns

MOTION: Adjourn board meeting and move into the executive session. [Brian, Erik]

RESULT: Approved by unanimous consent.