Relining a coat

Is there anyone at the space who can teach me how to reline a coat (or point me to resources on how)? I have these two peacoats that I really like and I haven’t worn in years because the liners are all shredded. I took them to a tailor who said I’d do better just to buy a new coat, but that doesn’t seem in keeping with my values. I understand lining a coat is incredibly difficult, but since I can’t use these coats now, I thought I’d give it a go.

I’ve made a number of coats over the years and could give a few pointers and/or help. However if anyone with more experience wants to chime in, please do so!

If it’s just the body and not the sleeves, that would make things easier. Depending on how shredded the linings are, you could roughly whip stitch it back together or patch with cheap materials, and then carefully remove the stitching holding the lining to the outer material. This would give you the basic pattern (be sure to add seam allowance) to cut out the new lining material. I’m also willing to help in person if need be.

1 Like

Although they might be shredded, do you still have the linings?

The linings are still in the coats. Looking at them again, in one coat, the lining is fine, but the sleeves are in bad shape (I suspect the pockets are, too). In the other, the lining is shredded at the bottom, but the sleeves are fine.

It’s a real Gift of the Magi situation.