Planer in wood shop under repair

ISSUE or REQUEST: Repair

Affected Tool or Resource: Thickness planer in woodshop

Team, Group or Volunteer who usually handles this type of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please tag using the @ symbol. Start by typing @TEAM_ to find most responsible teams): @TEAM_Woodshop

Details of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please be as specific as possible):
The planer had some bearings seize up. We got the old ones out, and have the replacements ordered. They should arrive Monday. A full recovery is expected early in the week.

Please remember that VOLUNTEERS will be helping to resolve this issue. While everyone works very hard to fix things quickly, sometimes things take time. Please consider volunteering to help keep everything working well at our space!

It seems USPS is taking the bearings on a tour of the midwest. I’ll get them here as soon as I get my hands on them.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tLabels=9374889687090297825133

They don’t seem to be making progress towards their destination and Amazon won’t let me do anything about it until Thursday. So, I placed another order from a different seller in hopes they’ll get here.

We’ll return whichever ones don’t win the race.

Sorry for the delay everyone.

So for everyone playing at home, here’s the situation.

Still no idea when the original parts will arrive. They continue their tour of the Midwest.

In my infinite wisdom, when I placed the second order, I thought, “Well, if they’re going to ship it USPS, I’ll just have it sent to the makerspace. Then it’ll be waiting in the mailbox.” Well, they decided to ship it UPS instead. And it’s scheduled to arrive on Friday. Assuredly when no one will be there to answer the door.

So, the saga continues. I’m going to try to intercept it on Friday if I can. Or maybe the other ones will show up in the mailbox before then.

@RealCarlRaymond, bearings are here. I’ll leave them in your mailbox.

The new bearings are installed, and it’s all back in working order now. I also cleaned out all the sawdust inside, and gave the rails and leadscrews some light oil, so it goes up and down much more smoothly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

With the planer back up and running, one of the proximate causes was likely the machine being run with the shop vac packed full and unable to remove the chips. We’re working on getting dust collection plumbed into the shop, but in the meantime, please empty the planer shop vac when you finish planing. Don’t leave it for the next person to clean out for you.