Personal 3D printer troubleshooting help needed

Hi, I’m not sure if this is the right place for this but it seems relevant. I am in the process of 3d printing some wall hanging mushroom files, and wanted to print them in TPU. My original bowden tube set up had worked for other brands but because the new filament I bought was a softer material, I ended up having to upgrade my machine so here we are!

I have an Ender 3 V2 Neo printer. I just finished installing Creality’s Sprite Extruder Pro Kit. I downloaded the firmware from Creality’s website to include dual-z motors and now the direct drive extruder and the printer is updated that way. I figured out with the few first test runs my probe for auto bed leveling was trying to go off the build plate. I adjusted probe offset values to get them back on. Now instead of just adjusting the probe path I have also adjusted the extruder so it is off center too. Sweet! I’m at a point now where I know I need to define to the machine the distance relationship from the probe to the extruder, and this is where I’m hitting a dead end. I was able to run a small test print, and the direct drive extruder works beautifully if you’re curious. Just printed a solid 10cm off center… :melting_face:
I don’t know if there is a tool or program to set this adjustment, as it isn’t something I can do in the menu of the device. If it is a code adjustment, I’m not sure how to go about it. I’ve been at this for a solid day and this post is my last ditch effort before I let this project breath for a week or two. lol

I’m not familiar with your specific machine, but you probably just need to adjust some offset in your firmware. It sounds like you have already adjusted the probe offset (distances between nozzle and probe tip) but may need to also adjust where the machine thinks the nozzle is relative to the home position. Is your test print really 10cm off of where it should be or 10mm?

It looks like the Ender 3 V2 allows you to adjust the Xmin, Xmax, Ymin, Ymax, and bed size in the menu, so I think your answer lies here. Can’t really help anymore without a more detailed description of the issue.

Edit: Actually, it seems you are not able to adjust this in the menu. You might look at connecting via USB and Pronterface and sending gcode manually. M206 followed by M500 to save the change might do it.

Thank you for some insight. I went back into an information gathering phase here and it looks like my only option is to interface directly via usb and adjust it that way. The only reason I had never thought of that is that my office and my printer are in separate areas so it can be a pain.

My measurement of 10cm was woefully inaccurate, (in my head - print bed=200mm half is 10cm but it’s actually printing in the middle of the right half of the bed. Which looks suspiciously like the distance between my probe and my nozzle…

Will update with whatever I figure out, if it turns out to be of some use.

A couple other possible things to investigate:

  • The slicer you’re using could cause things to print in a different area than you expect. Check the origin, bed size, movement limits etc. in the slicer settings.

  • You can update the hard coded machine movement limits and bed size in the Marlin firmware itself. It sounds like you have already installed a new firmware via SD card, so you might just need to tweak these in the Configuration.h file of that firmware and reflash it.