It can be very hard to find out if you need a checkout for a specific tool, is there a list of which ones need checkouts? I was told if it has a binder it probably needs a checkout but this doesn’t seem to be a reliable way to find out.
If this is not something that exists already I’d like to try and get one together, I think it would be helpful to have a visible list of what tools in each section need a checkout to make sure you are not using one you aren’t supposed to yet and so you know what specifically to ask for a checkout on.
I don’t know if this list exists. Here is a stab at the tools in welding, blacksmithing and metal sanding/grinding.
- hoods (to avoid blindless)
- gloves (to avoid UV and thermal burns)
- welder - 110 mig
- welder - arc (if/when we get power run for it)
- oxyacetylene torch (if/when we get it set up)
- small forge
- large forge
- post vices vs. bench vices
- hand tools:
- why are there so many tongs (use the right one)?
- how not to break the tools? soft parts vs hard parts!
- chisels vs fullers!
- finishing station - oil and bees wax
Metal sanding and grinding.
- angle grinder
- thin vs. thick disks
- how to set the guard
- proper clamping (vice grips!)
- sand blaster (if/when we get the air compressors working)
- bench disk sander / bench grinder
- drill press
- 2x72 belt sander - hopefully ready very soon!