How can the space and members be helping out right now?

Thought I would give an update. Nathan R. Tykocki messaged to update that he sterilized everything and assembled them this morning. Most of what I gave was the rc2 version, most of them petg (running low)

I wanted to announce that I did make some with a higher temperature pla filament. And he said it Seems like it has enough flex to not shatter. And they might be worth producing.

“I’m a scientist with proper PPE in my home, so I can clean and disinfect all relatively quickly without exposure to me or my family”, and thinks that the pla will clean well enough from my understanding.

The pla I have prints around 230 c. And has had early decent results.

1 Like

I’m being funded by my company to produce these masks and now face sheilds. However since you guys have already been building the prusia shields I have some questions.
Where could I get the laminate if I wanted to buy mass quantities.

Bauer has a simpler design that I’m going to start producing in tandem.
https://bauer.a.bigcontent.io/v1/static/Bauer_FaceShield_Spec-Art_r1

Are they’re any issues with the design?

I’ve been printing prusa rc2 and rc3 shields no problem. both in petg and higher temp pla. Im now attempting this design in high temp PLA. i can let you know how this goes.
https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/27477-covid-onx-protective-shield-1620-shields-per-day-o
I’m trying a stack of 8. Nathan would be a good contact to see what he’s using. He gave me a few for masks I’m donating to extended family . I’m impressed with the feel

1 Like

So I would like to update all on the “3d printing face masks” front.
First of all,

Supplies
If anyone needs filament 3dxtech out of Grand Rapids is staying open as an essential business. They make the filament, so supplies in that realm are good.
Mcmaster-Carr is completely sold out of elastic bands, Walmart, Michael’s, Joanna’s, and Amazon are oversold or out of stock. Printing TPU or Ninjaflex may be an option.
Filter media can be purchased from just about anywhere. Using the filter paper from furnace filters with a MERV 12 or greater is preferred.

Designs
Many different mask designs have surfaced and so far I’ve attempted to print them all. Keep in mind these are my opinion and printing times are based on a Lulzbot Taz6 with a 0.5mm head. From worst to best…

Sparc Mask - Must be supported and failed horribly.
Recommendation: Dont print!

It will not lay flat in any orientation so you must print with supports. There is a lot of wasted material and the time is extensive.

Copper3d V2 Mask - Very brittle with PLA and must be printed in a high resolution. Fitment issue.
Recommendation: Dont print!
https://copper3d.com/hackthepandemic/
Fits like a jockstrap for your face. Extremely narrow, would require extensive modeling changes to be feasible. Low-resolution prints fail and high-resolution prints are between 8-10 hours per mask.

Copper3d V1 Mask - Must be molded and does not seal very well.
Recommendation: Modifications to the taps resolve this however there are better designs.

Creality Mask - The C-lock buckles on this page are awesome.
Recommendation: Have yet to slice or try as better designs were found. Printed a plate of the c-lock buckle and they work great.

Nurse Mask - Mind the names I need something to identify these types
Recommendation: This mask is an alright design, however, better designs include more strap tie-offs. I’ve printed a lot of these masks, in various sizes.

Tinkrlab Mask - Print Force?
Recommendation: Good mask, heavy design, no alternate sizes, 5-6 hour print

Low Poly Mask Super fast print Current Winner
Recommendation: Fast Printing 2hr, super light design, multiple sizes. This is the one I’m filling my plate with.

If anyone knows of a good location to get elastic I’ll place an order. So far all the orders I’ve placed have been canceled.
Good Luck. Stay Safe.

My wife has been wearing one of those masks with elastic behind the ears. These ear savers are nice for keeping ears from going raw. The designs are for 3d printing, but are better suited for cutting a 100 at a time on the laser.