Fundraising idea, sort of and membership dues, and Members no longer allowed to vote on board topics?

Premise,
1.raise some money,
2, give the members a voice,
Situation: it seems at some point the bylaws were changed so that only Board votes on direction of the makerspace. If that’s true, I’m ok with that because I just pay to use the space. you guys do so much work and understand all the details. BUT, Members do want a voice.
and the maker space could use an infusion of cash. I don’t know how much but any significant amount might help.
Solution: allow 1 or 2 or more even if you so wish revolving seats on the board. Offer a seat on the board to any member who is willing to put up for a multi year membership. if they want an open hours membership for three years, they get a seat at the table. if they want a any hours for two years they get a seat at the table.
secondly, give the members a voice?: have one seat as an elected seat for any current member to vote on a candidate that has a year long open hours membership.
Third. permanent member of the board. Sitting on a board can look good for anyone, an infusion of 10 grand as a donation gets you a seat on the board for 5 years.

Protecting the space: any of these seats can be revoked by a super majority of the board and pro rated money donated will be refunded if there is deemed incompatibility with the member.

Not a complete solution but maybe it gets the old brain waves churning.
I’m not sure I’d do 10 grand but I know I I’d like a year long membership and if I do that kind of investment I might like a little more say in what is going on.

For clarity there was a special member meeting on October 2, 2018 where a vote was held on whether or not we should become a directorship. There were MANY members in attendance and the motion was passed in a landslide vote with only 1 member voting no. A quick search of Directorship Vote here on the talk site will turn up relevant posts and discussions.

2 Likes

Alex,
for clarity I’m not saying I have a problem with it. I’m not focusing on it. I’m just suggesting ideas for positive change. and FYI 2018 was a very long time ago so keep in mind there might be many new members that dont understand the history of things.

2 Likes

Thanks alex! The discussion was up, but the outcome of the vote was not listed, so i’m glad it is now

1 Like

I think a one or two year term for a member “at large”, could help with the current distrust.

I get the impression that there are now no bylaws. A simple copy and paste would have had them displayed a few days ago, or the last 4.5 years.

2 Likes