Entrepreneurship programming at LMN

@Gary and @jimwhite, I’ve talked to each of you individually about this, And here is my promised connecting of you two for this purpose. :slight_smile:

We have some money set aside in the budget for some entrepreneurship programming (community based, not restricted to members) at the makerspace. It’s sat unused because I haven’t had time to put together a plan. So, I’m putting it out there to the two of you (and anyone else who might be interested in taking a lead on making entrepreneurship activities happen at the space) to see if we can get something going.

I’d love to play a supportive role and will help execute, but I’m just too booked to take the lead on it (as evidenced by it not having happened yet).

Sorry for being out of touch, I have been sick for a week or two. Anyway would love to do this.

Gary

I would like to help with entrepreneurship programming at the LMN. The Detroit Build Institute might be an example of the type of topics that could be offered.

http://buildinstitute.org

There’s some great stuff in there. Love it.

So between @Gary, @jimwhite, and @lisamarie who wants to take the lead? (On at least getting us together and putting together a plan of attack).

I’m happy to get us together and I’d need to get caught up on what was discussed, but I will come to the meeting with some thoughts/ideas.

These are the times I’m free this week:
Wednesday Nov 15 5:30 to 7:30pm
Thursday Nov 16 7:30pm to 8:30pm
Friday Nov 17 1pm to 4pm
Saturday Nov 18 12pm to 5pm
Sunday Nov 19 12pm to 5pm

@Gary @jimwhite any of those times work for you?

Thursday from 7:30 to 8:30 is the only proposed time slot that works for me. I’m pretty sure that the weekend (including any shot at Make-giving) are unavailable. Or I can just do virtual participation though that would be best through direct email since checking a website is an extra (and forgettable) process for me (james-e-white@inventorhome.com).

I will say that one thing we really need to determine is what the restrictions (including amount) are on the budgeted $. My bias would be to try for both PSA marketing and a few paid (probably radio) commercials but its been a while since I’ve made the effort for either.

Also I’ve got several presentations, geared for inventors (though around 80% of successful inventors get their own products to market entrepreneurially), already created and ready to go since I’ve given them in various places across the country:

Will It Sell? How to Determine If Your Invention Is Profitably Marketable (Before Wasting Money on a Patent)
Avoiding Those Mistakes (46 common inventor mistakes)
How to Get a STRONG Patent
Marketability Evaluation
Advertising 101

The presentations all run 45 minutes to an hour and might require a little dusting off, especially the Marketability Evaluation one, but shouldn’t be too hard to get ready.

Feedback welcome @lisamarie, @Gary or anyone else.

Answering the things I can answer directly:

I need to go back and look at the amount, but the money was for in-person events at the makerspace focused on entrepreneurship. Things related to that (FB ads, to promote the event, etc) can certainly be included, but simply using it for PSA/commercials might not really suit the intention of the sponsorship.

FYI. If you click the tracking button on any post you can select “Watching” which will mean you’ll be notified by email of any new replies. (And you can reply from your email, no need to login to talk.lmn to reply.)

$2,700.

The goals outlined in the MOU were:

These were the points outlined, I’m confident the sponsor will be supportive of whatever we come up with.

Thursday is ok with me, late afternoon or early evening.

Hi Gary, then I’ll see you and whoever else wants to show up at 7:30 PM Thursday, Nov. 16 in the Lansing Makerspace

@Gary, @lisamarie

Sounds good see you.

Thanks Brian for the additional information. I will see everyone at 7:30pm tomorrow.

Hi Gary and anyone paying attention to this topic. Apologies for the long silence. My main computer’s video card went out the Sunday after Thanksgiving and I’ve just got a new video card (unfortunately the wrong one but at least the screens show up). I’d be most easily available to meet again Wednesday, December 13.

All the holiday stuff is over so I think my schedule has calmed down again. @Gary are you still interested in an Entrepreneurship program at LMN? This week and next the best days for me would be Thursdays (Jan 25 and Feb 1) at around 7:00 PM.