CNC Router Checkout Req

Hi - I’d like to learn how to use the CNC Router.

I’m making quite a large cutting board that I would like to put a juice groove in. Long story short, after failing to build a sturdy and accurate enough jig for this, I figured learning how to use this machine might be easier.

Also, if anyone has any tips on getting software that’s compatible with this cnc router that’s cheaper than VCarve (or wants to help a guy program his first juice groove), that would be fantastic.

There is one planned soon! I’ll tag you in that post.

1 Like

@Evelyn, figured I’d try again. Is there going to be a checkout class this month for the CNC router?

Hi @Jeremy_Johnson
I embarrassingly don’t check the talksite as often as I should. Could you email me your general availability, and we’ll figure out a date to get you and a few others authorized?

Same for you @omid

evelyn@lansingmakersnetwork.org

I, too, would like to be authorized on the CNC. Most times, I can make myself available to meet other’s schedules.

1 Like

@Chris_Drake @Jeremy_Johnson @omid
We had an error code on the spindle that I’ve never seen before, and the machine isn’t currently running. There should be a post soon about it, I don’t do my best to schedule something once the machine is back up

I have a near infinite amount of time and high levels of motivation to help fix this

1 Like

@RealCarlRaymond would you like another set of hands?

Sure! I’ll be around this evening (Wednesday) and tomorrow evening to continue poking.

I had posted a long description in this thread about it, but I think that disappeared when the Discourse software update went south over the weekend.

But, long story short: the PLC is not starting up cleanly, either because it is bad, or something it’s connected to (like an E-stop chain or other safety input) is in a bad state. The PLC shows fault lights. That prevents the control software from fully staring up.

Documentation on the PLC is nonexistent for the public; it’s proprietary and only available to the machine builder. So there’s guessing going on.

I’ll pop by tomorrow, after 5?

I’ll be there after 6:00.

The machine’s breaker should still be switched off, and so all lights at the top of the cabinet will be off. If you see a lit green light, it is powered, and there’s 240V at some places inside the cabinet.

1 Like