Board meeting on Wednesday, April 26 at 7 pm on Zoom

Here’s the agenda for our next board meeting, which is this Wednesday, April 26 at 7 pm. You are welcome to spectate and there will be a portion dedicated to member suggestions and questions during the Member-led Discourse agenda item which usually starts between 7:45 and 8:15.

If you’re unable to join and would like to ask questions or offer some suggestions to the board, please drop comments below and I’ll make sure to bring them up for you! :grin:


  • Approval of agenda
  • Approval of previous minutes
  • Executive report
  • Treasurer’s report
  • Secretary’s report
  • Proposal smorgasbord
  • Member-led discourse
  • Schedule the next board meeting
  • Public board meeting adjourns
  • Executive session

Zoom Details

Topic: LMN Board Meeting on Zoom
Time: Apr 26, 2023 at 7:00 PM Eastern

Meeting ID: 926 2280 3913
Passcode: LMN

Ahem… Any big announcements that you might want to email members about?


What are the big announcements?

Lansing Makers Network

Board of Directors
Regular Meeting Minutes
April 26, 2023, 7:00 pm via Zoom

Present: Erik Gillespie (Secretary), Brian Adams (President), Carl Raymond, Jerry Jodloski, Joe Zimmerman, Jody Applegate (Treasurer), Charlie Finkel


Spectators: Jerry, Brian Dale, Evelyn Down

Minutes: Erik Gillespie

Meeting called to order: 7:06 pm

1. Approval of agenda

MOTION: Approval of Agenda as Submitted. [Charlie, Jody]

RESULT: Approved by unanimous consent

2. Approval of previous minutes

Link to 2023-04-05 Meeting Minutes

MOTION: Approval of Minutes as Submitted. [Erik, Charlie]

RESULT: Approved by unanimous consent

3. Executive report

  • Jimmy is off the month of May and we’ll need to fill that role temporarily
  • We’re looking for Friday night speakers or meetup groups. Send ideas to the board@lmn
  • Brian’s planning to start a weekly newsletter — please send info about LMN to him often so he can include it!
  • We’re looking for volunteers to attend the Maker’s Material Market on May 27 — do that in Discord or on the Talk site

4. Treasurer’s report

  • No changes to the March treasurer’s report and the April report is in progress
  • We’re up about $4,000 from Eventbrite since last month
  • We have a little more than $13,000 in our bank account
  • Jody and Erik will catch up soon to get the 990s together for the grant Erik is working on
  • Jody will help figure out the fiscal policies we need to revise so we can start getting more accurate and regular financial reporting
  • Brian has been thinking about starting our LMN store, being mindful of our low bank balance
  • Jody will do a bank deposit tomorrow and will hang onto what went into the deposit
  • We need to reinform shift leaders about the end-of-week deposit process
  • We’re expecting to receive our check from the Mott Foundation in early May

5. Secretary’s report

  • Applying for MI Nonprofit Relief Fund grant ($5,000-$25,000)
  • Patronicity report is complete except for the budget - Brian will start tagging these transactions.
  • I didn’t receive a list of items in Cliff’s possession that were purchased by LMN. Do we want me to proceed with this? Alex was asked to find out if we’re missing these items, Brian will followup.
  • Jody will followup with Kate Hudy about the 990s and solicitation license
  • Erik will review the Call for Board Members website to reopen it

6. Proposal smorgasbord

  1. Direct mail campaign

    • For about 15¢ per item, we can do regular, targeted mailers to spread the word about LMN
    • Carl offered to pay for the first rounds to see how this goes
    • It can be a slow rollout that we can evaluate and decide to continue, abort, and/or improve
    • The ask and offer on the card will be important to get people to visit us
    • Evelyn Down has an in at a local print shop and volunteered to help design the card
    • Brian will reach out to Josh at Maker Works about their mail campaign
    • Mike L. has a great idea about a laser cut trinket we can offer to people who come in with a mailer
    • We need the trinket designed, the card/copy designed, a solid estimate and budget, front desk training, and a way to track the links
    • This has a green light until we need to spend LMN’s money on it
  2. Let’s reignite the fundraising committee (Erik, Joe, Carl) [May 1st] and strategic planning committee (Brian, Charlie, Erik, Carl) [May 3rd] to consider the following items:

    • Collect emergency donations from board members monthly until they are not needed
    • Host a town hall to share a State of the Space
    • Launch a fundraiser that concludes on May 27 (Maker’s Material Market)
    • Weekly working sessions to work on grants, corporate membership, etc.
    • Establish a task board for Brian’s/board tasks (to prioritize and improve the visibility of ongoing tasks)

7. Member-led discourse (8:01 pm)

  • No comments from members

8. Schedule the next board meeting

Next board meeting: Wednesday, May 24, 2023, at 7:00 pm

9. Public board meeting adjourns

MOTION: Adjourn board meeting and move into the executive session. [Brian, Erik]

RESULT: Approved by unanimous consent.

1 Like