I would like to sandblast some old paint off two metal grates from my 100-year old house. I don’t know if any of the old paint has lead in it - is this something I need to test and confirm before I use the sandblaster on it?
Yes please test. Lead dust is specifically a thing we’d like to avoid being airborne.
If there is lead, paint stripper works particularly well (like better than it does with latex paint) and you can sandblast it after to get it ready for new paint.
1 Like
Will do! Thank you!
Any paint prior to 1978 should be considered to have lead in it. You should not sand or sandblast it nor should it be heated to remove it. It can be scraped. Wear gloves and dispose the waste in a sealed plastic bag.
2 Likes
Thanks @cafwood! That is exactly what I did.
1 Like