Anvil stand needs routing

Hello woodshop savvy makers, I have a favor to ask for helping to set up the blacksmithing area again.

I brought in a new anvil on Sunday and started work on a wooden stand for it. I got it bound together with iron bands, and now I need to route out the center down 1 inch.

If someone wanted to do that for me, as I have never used a router before, that would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I’ll be in on Thrusday hopefully around 6pm. Hopefully someone can check me out on the routers that day. Just the hand routers, I don’t need the big machine.

If someone did want to do that for me, preserve the line. If I have to to a little work with a wood chisel to squeeze the anvil into the stand, that will be all the better for the fit.

Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

Here are pictures of what he’s talking about

Sorry for waiting to post so long, @JeremyL . I was waiting for feedback on a Monday meeting :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That is a lot of work. If this is what’s called for, cool. On the other hand, for most of the anvils I’ve seen mounted, they will have half round blocks of wood affixed to the wooden stand on the sides of the anvil. You might consider this as part of the solution.

Unfortunately, the stand is 1 inch too tall for proper height. If we could take one inch off the top in a clean cut, that would work I suppose. Do we have a band saw that large?

Nah, we don’t. How tall is the stand as is? If it were me I would make a router jig out of hardboard and route the outline, then clean the interior with shallow passes to the appropriate depth on the CNC- it may be too tall for that though.

@laura_rogers

It should be about 2 foot tall. Maybe just a hair under.

I made it a few years ago, and can’t remember what size i made it, just that I made it so I could inset the anvil by 1 inch and have it be the proper height.

Gotcha. Is it pressure-treated? pine?

Untreated “premium stud” pine, iirc.

The other thought I have is using an auger bit on the drill press and then cleaning it up mortise style. I’m assuming you don’t care if it’s pretty under the anvil.

Not at all, as long as it’s level.

I can help you get it done on Thursday around 6.

I think Gary’s suggestion is a good one. That is, use a couple of half-round blocks to secure the anvil.

The blocks of wood are currently bound by 2 steel bands, and there’s a bit or rock in the whole assembly. Some of the blocks are cut unevenly. I’d say disassemble it, trim one end of each block to be square, then trim the other end to the proper length. Reassemble, cut the half-rounds, and Bob’s you’re uncle. I’d be happy to take this on, or help with the effort.

1 Like

I plan on replacing the bottom binding anyway, and I’d like to get holes in the top one for small lag bolts. The only issue is there is -some- amount of wood glue holding it together, not very well obviously. I suppose we could reglue it as well.

Sounds like a plan.

How did you determine the proper height?

I go 1 inch above normal proper height, wihich is to have the face of the anvil level with the knuckles of your clench fist with your arms held at your side, shoulders relaxed.

I unfortunately don’t have those numbers off hand. I’m only a part-time membership right now, so I won’t be able to come in until tomorrow.

Thank you very much for everyone’s help last night. The anvil stand came together great, and I couldn’t have done it without your help. I am very excited to begin using it today.

2 Likes