In need of advice

So, I’ve been working on this carving board so that if I ever cook a turkey, I’m not doing it on the kitchen counter. I was going to come up with a simple design to cut into the top for drainage, then I started playing in Adobe Illustrator. This is what I have come up with:

Is it too complicated? will this work on the CNC router? or the laser cutter? The depth of the lines should be 1/4 inch or so. The width of the lines varies from 3/8 to ?

Thoughts? Suggestions??

If it is ok, what format file do I need to output from Illustrator to get into whatever is the best system?

So many questions, so little time!!
Thanks for your thoughts!
Anne

Your design is certainly doable, consider using a round-nose cutter to make channels easier to clean. File output to a PDF or bitmap for conversion in Vcarve to generate G code for tool-paths. Please note wood-shop CNC is down for maintenance, probably for the next ten days.

You may want to consider using a material other than wood, especially since you want to cut meat, as wood is hard to clean. I would suggest you try to get a piece of solid surface material (like Corian) from a countertop maker like the Top Shop. They may have a scrap sink cut out that would suit your needs. The cnc machine will cut this material with the same bits you would use for wood. Hope this helps.

Hello.

Thank you for your suggestion, however I already have a piece of hardwood countertop that I will be using for this project.

Maybe for the next one I’ll try a solid surface material.

Anne