Holiday Event Discussion

As a counterpoint, everything we make on any art sales will be profit for us, since we’re not actually spending money to get the artists in. Which is the other reason I think we can afford to/should lower our cut. The more variety of artists we get in, the more likely we are to make sales from those artists.

This does raise a question, though: have we reached out to makers/artists yet? If not, we should get on that ASAP. With the holiday season approaching, I think a lot of artists might be booking up craft sales around now.

1 Like

Hello! I’m a newer member (as of Aug). I’m exited about this event & looking forward to helping those create a stamped charm. I’ve shared the event & my project on my personal FB page. (A couple of weeks ago + yesterday, when it was shared to LMN FB page.

This morning, I shared the event in the Not Your Mother’s Networking FB group. It’s a closed group for women only, who work or live within the 517 area code. It’s a huge group! I also posted it in the 517 Living Community (Greater Lansing Area) FB group. Another huge group! (The latter is awaiting approval to be posted.) For those not familiar, the 517 group encourages sharing local events + adding that event to their calendar. If this hasn’t been done, it’s a great idea to do so + it’s free, as far as I could tell. I didn’t want to assume it was ok for me to add it to their calendar, as it does ask for a lot of specifics. I’ll will leave that to those in charge. :slightly_smiling_face: https://www.517living.com/

My stamped samples for those who haven’t seen them. :heart:

1 Like

Marketing update: Since posting How-to-Holiday on the LMN page yesterday afternoon, I have posted in the following FB groups Saturday evening:

517living
Not Your Mother’s Networking Group (prior to your posting, @Heather - plz boost both postings)
Michigan Geek Girl Meetups

Also, I am waiting for the admin approvals from the following media outlets:

City Pulse
517living.com (Community Calendar)
WILX
Fox 47
WKAR

Also, it looks as if there is a currently a double-listing of the event on WLNS’ community calendar. (ABC 53’s community calendar ports over to WLNS’.)

I reached out to the Greater Lansing Convention and Visitors Bureau to see how HTH! can be listed in their events page. UPDATE - submitted on GLCVB’s site and email’d Matt Mohundro - awaiting approval.

I will also reach out to the various radio sites with Community Calendars as well.

Lastly, would anyone from the board be willing to go on Lansing Community College’s Coffee Break hour and talk about HTH? If there is interest, I need to see when LCC Radio can get LMN in there to promote it.

P.S. My friend Melik also runs LansingMade.com. I will ask him if he can run a spot for HTH on his site.

1 Like

@conejita42 ~ Neither of the posts had come through my feed so, I appreciate you letting me know you had shared them in the same groups. I have liked & commented on both of them. Hopefully, you can find mine to do the same. :slightly_smiling_face:

UPDATE 2:

HTH Listings Active in following:
City Pulse calendar
WILX calendar
WKAR calendar
WLNS calendar
Greater Lansing Convention and Visitors Bureau
517living .com
Fox 47 calendar
LansingMade. com

1 Like

Aloha fellow makers!!

I was wondering if you guys have talked about decorating the space for How to Holiday to make it look a bit more festive? And maybe having some popcorn (the microwave variety?!) and/or munchies/drinks for visitors.
I could possibly raid a few of my friends’ homes to get string lights going…
Puja

OK…I know that both @puja and I have been wondering… What time should volunteers be at the Makerspace to prep/set up for HTH? Also, what time should volunteers show up on the 30th?

Good morning peeps!

My two cents and then lots of ‘maybe we can’ but before that I was wondering, are we also giving people the tour on that day? Or are we restricting them to the central common space? I ask because I think a general clean up is needed in most spaces…and organizing.
I am going in today, and will give the wood shop a clean out before I leave.
@Rossi.Bossi could you conjure up the holiday spirit in a few volunteers for the 29th evening, say a couple of hours? If we can clean and organize on the 29th itself, then all we need to do on the 30th is show up and turn on the lights! I can delegate but maybe a shift leader needs to be around to give everyone access.
I have asked a coupe of my friends for string lights (I got rid of my stuff last year); waiting to hear back. If anyone has a few to loan, please write to me and I will get them back to you after the event.
As for artist space for the event, maybe we can put those plastic tables in pairs across the length of the common space. And artists can get a sheet or something if they want to place over the tables.
Did anyone have any thoughts on beverages and snack? (oh, speaking of snacks, I left a big bag of calories on the kitchen counter yesterday…happy munching!)

That was fun you guys!! We should do it more often!!
:smiley:

Agree fun and I got see the work others are doing

If this event is going to be repeated, I suggest we share our thoughts and observations while it’s still fresh in our memories. I was glad to see the people that turned out seemed so interested and involved in the activities. On the other hand, turn out was much lower than I hoped for, especially after 3:15, when the football game started. Though it was convenient to have items for sale while providing demos and “how-tos”, I think sales were low and few people seemed to be there to buy stuff at a craft show. I think promotion and planning is an issue that needs to be addressed, certainly if we want it to grow.