Last Minute: Bennet Woods Elementary School Science Night 2019 coming

Bennet Woods Elementary in Okemos is hosting their annual Science Night on Thursday, January 24 (this is earlier than previous years). They’re asking if we can run another take-apart clinic, as we have in the past.

I’m in, but I need some help. This is a fun event, and helps young kids become un-makers, which is the first step toward becoming a maker. We bring a bag of screwdrivers and other tools, and a pile of safety glasses, and help them disassemble all kinds of household appliances and small electronics. We put out the items (after checking for any hazards, cutting off electrical cords, etc.), and help them when they get stuck.

If you’d like to help with this event, reply here. A crew of three or four is a good size. We will set up between 5:30pm-6:00pm, and be ready for people by 6:15-6:30pm. The event ends at 8:00pm. There will be refreshments and light snacks for exhibitors and volunteers.

While the school supplies the bulk of the items to take apart, we are also accepting a limited range of things. Things with motors and belts and mechanisms are great. Purely electronic stuff is fine. Check that it is dis-assembleable with tools and hands. For example, some plastic enclosures are ultrasonically welded, and are not readily taken apart by anybody, let alone kids.

• VCRs (these are great)
  • Radios with tuning dials
  • Tape recorders or cassette players

Avoid anything that shatters or is otherwise hazardous. No computer monitors or TVs of any era.

If you’ve got something to donate, please describe it here and let me say yes or no. Otherwise we end up with things we can’t use, and have to dispose of ourselves.

Also, if you want to offer another activity or demonstrate something suitable for 10-12 year olds, I can pass that along to the school.

@RealCarlRaymond - Ray and I loved the Bennett Woods Science Night event that we want to volunteer for the Take-Apart event for next January. In fact, during a Friendsgiving, we were “gifted” with a broken VCR as a white elephant gift. (UPDATE: It’s now in the Take-Apart box in the Garage area.)

Plus we have a broken coffee maker we will gladfully give to the cause.

Unfortunately we had a last-minute cancellation for tomorrow. If anyone is available tomorrow (Thursday) in the late afternoon, an extra hand would be great. Melody and I can do it well enough, but an extra hand would be welcome. There’s never too many adults when wrangling elementary kids!

Hook the LMN Facebook account up with a post while you’re there (if you’re not buried under a bunch of kids :slight_smile: )